Friday, December 18, 2009

A great article on marriage was published in the NYTimes this week.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/fashion/13love.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=fashion
As a newly married woman, I love hearing from couples who have been married for decades about their experiences and advice. David Sarasohn writes honestly about his marriage in a realistic yet uplifting way. Here are a few great quotes from the article:

"Being single is all about the future, about the person you’re going to meet at Starbucks or after answering the next scientific compatibility questionnaire. Being married, after a certain point, is about the past, about a steadily growing history of moments that provide a confidence of comfort, an asset that compounds over time."

"Being married to someone you respect for being somehow better than you keeps affection alive. That this impressive person chooses you year after year makes you more pleased with yourself, fueling the kind of mutual self-esteem that can get you through decades."



What are your thoughts after reading this?

1 comment:

  1. This was a great article recommendation. "In different ways, we translate each other to the rest of the world ... Being married to someone you respect for being somehow better than you keeps affection alive." I'm not married, myself, but I think this is a beautiful sentiment. I'm new to the blogging world; I hope you don't mind if I give you a shout-out on my own blog. Take care! Looking forward to more from you ...

    http://periwinklepaperclip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete