Monday, October 12, 2009

Extreme Makeover: Shoe Edition

There are some women who wear high-heels all day, every day - to work, out for dinner...even grocery shopping. They make heel wearing look easy and these women grin and bear the pain in the name of looking sexy and womanly. I have never been one of those women.

I love a great pair of heels and enjoy feeling tall and slim wearing them on a special night out. But they kill my feet, hurt my back, and the discomfort has once or twice ruined an otherwise enjoyable evening for me.

I own many pairs of Cole Haan "Nike-Air" shoes and boots, with the hope that this will solve my high heel dilemma. Although they are more comfortable than a typical 4-inch stiletto, I am still in pain after wearing the "Nike-Air" shoes for a whole day/night.

So why do I keep going back to wearing high heels if they make me feel crummy and my husband could care less if I wear them?

My relationship with shoes is a perfect example of how women live, dress, talk, socialize and act to largely impress other women. I never thought I cared what other women think of me. However, when I am brave and wear a daunting pair of heels, and get complimented by another woman, I feel like it was worth it. When I see a woman so effortlessly walking with stilettos I'm impressed. I pay attention. I'll often comment to women I know, "that's a gorgeous shoe, but isn't it dreadfully uncomfortable?!"

What do you do to impress members of your same sex?

No comments:

Post a Comment