Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Singing in the...drought

Dear Danielle,

I am 27 and an aspiring actress/singer/dancer. I live in New York City and audition all the time for parts in plays, Broadway and off-Broadway musicals and commercials. Since the down turn of the economy, I have yet to land a part. My parents keep telling me to choose another career path, and either find a job or go back to school. I have been surviving financially until now, but my savings are running out. Should I give up my dream of starring in a big time musical or find some way to make ends meet while still pursuing my true goal of becoming a star?

Signed,
"Singing in the financial drought"

Dear "Singing in the financial drought",

A gutsy, ambitious visionary named Theodor Herzl once said, "If you will it, it is no dream." Yet, we all know what it is like to have ambitions which realistically may never come to fruition. Your dilemma of when/if to give up pursuing a dream is all too common. Unfortunately, statistics are not on your side when it comes to making it big in theater or in Hollywood. Do not give up on your passion. However, you should find a way to translate your passion into a more marketable and financially viable skill-set. Perhaps you can teach theater/dance part time while you audition? Going after a dream doesn't have to be all or nothing. I believe if it is meant to be, one day you will get your big break so stay focused and positive. But in the meantime, find a way to not be a starving artist. Your parents will be less stressed and you might be surprised that when we least expect it in life, often that's when things start going our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment