Friday, October 2, 2009

What's next...Kombucha?

PinkBerry. Toppings. YogurtLand. Red Mango. Blushberry. Yogenfruz. I could go on and on.

The frozen yogurt craze has been around now for awhile, but the number of businesses trying to ride the success of the yogurt train seems to keep growing. I really like frozen yogurt, especially because as huge fan of ice cream, I am able to rationalize that frozen yogurt is ok to eat multiple times a week because it isn't as fattening as ice cream.

I am wondering, what will be the next big thing when it comes to food fads? Cupcakes have been done. Asian-Fusion is so 2000. Acai berries don't seem to be sticking around quite the way that pomegranate juice took off. Sushi will always be popular but it is not longer a novelty. A friend mentioned to me recently that it seems everything lately has avocado in it, although that doesn't hint much to what is coming next in regards to "it" foods.

A friend just told me about Kombucha, a fermented drink that can be found at Whole Foods which is made up of live cultures that literally float around in the drink. It is supposed to be helpful in preventing illness, digestion and increasing energy. So, for research purposes I picked up a few bottles during my Whole Foods run last night. I was advised that it tastes very vinegary and so a novice like me should try the mango flavor which is supposedly the sweetest one.

Synergy, the brand name of the Kombucha drink, definitely tasted vinegary and I could taste the slightest hint of alcohol. I couldn't finish the whole bottle in one sitting, and so I put it back in the fridge. I didn't feel much healthier after drinking it, and although I intend on drinking the few bottles I bought - Kombucha seems to be all hype to me.

My prediction is that the next "it" food will be something cheap, something healthy yet comforting and tasty...

Do you have any ideas about what the next big food trend will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment