Monday, November 23, 2009

Dog Today...Baby Tomorrow

Dear Danielle,

My husband and I have been married for seven years and we have been trying to conceive for awhile - unsuccessfully. We have been seeing a fertility doctor, and will be pursuing various options, but in the meantime, my husband wants to get a dog. I don't love animals, and I feel like my husband just wants a dog in replacement of the baby we have been wanting. How can I convince my husband that the solution to our infertility problems isn't a pet?

Sincerely,
"Allergic to Dogs"

Dear "Allergic to Dogs,"

If your husband is prepared to do the majority of the looking after of the dog, and it means so much to him to get one - then I don't think you should stand in his way. You both must be going through a lot of stress with trying to conceive, so it makes sense that your husband would want a dog around to walk with, take to the park, etc. It will make him feel good and excited about life. My usual phrase is "happy wife, happy life" - but in this case it is clearly "happy husband, happy wife."

No comments:

Post a Comment