Monday, August 17, 2009

What Can You Not Live Without?

Recently, I have been strategizing how to decorate our apartment elegantly on a budget. After years of dorm rooms, shared college apartments and cramped NYC living - I am eager to feel settled and grownup, at least when it comes to interior design. Considering the uncertainty and chaos of our world, I am driven to create a stylish, serene and personalized environment since not much else of our current life seems controllable. Searching for the perfect yet affordable decor has got me thinking - isn't the make-up of a person's home the perfect example of how material possessions can actually uplift and enhance existence? Meaning, sports cars may be sexy and designer clothes may be beautiful, but at the end of the day I don't believe those superficial acquisitions can make a person feel calmer or more secure. However, the comfort level (in terms of design and furniture) of one's home can definitely impact one's feelings of warmth and joy. At least, that's how I feel. If I spent money on anything it would probably be travel (which isn't exactly a material possession), and my home (including art.)

What material possession in your life can you not live without, not because it represents status or style - but because it truly makes you happy and enhances your existence?

I look forward to hearing from you...

2 comments:

  1. My designer clothes. Go figure.

    But as someone embarking on a career in fashion, I strongly believe that personal style can make you happy and enhance your existence. Whether you are slovenly or tidy, punk or mainstream, colorful or monochrome, what you wear can speak to who you are inside... whether you want to fit in or stand out, keep things neat or chaotic, etc.

    Nice blog by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently just purchased a Shaw PVR. It's really great, it allows me to pause, fast forward or rewind live tv... This possession truly makes me happy and in several ways enhances my existence. It's High Def by the way.

    ReplyDelete